As summer is winding down, it’s time to get into the spirit of fall baking. With today being National Peach Pie Day, I found the perfect Peach Pie recipe! Peaches remind me of summertime, baking pies remind me of fall- so mixing the two, at the end of August, is just the right mix!
This is an Arnold Approved Peach Pie:
- 2 1/2 lbs fresh peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup very cold butter
- 1 heaping Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon fruit fresh
- Pastry for a 9 inch double pie crust
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- Peel, pit and slice peaches. To easily peel peaches, dip them in boiling water for 30-60 seconds and then plunge them in ice cold water.
- Mix together flour, sugars, cornstarch and butter until it is at the crumb stage. I used my Cuisinart and it made the job super quick!
- Combine peaches with cinnamon, nutmeg and fruit fresh.
- Place one crust in the bottom of a 9 inch pie plate. Add half the peach mixture then add half the crumb mixture on top. Add the last of the peaches next and then the last of the crumb mixture. Lightly tap on the counter to settle the peaches.
- Roll the remaining crust into an 11-inch circle. Cut into 1-inch strips. Lay 6 strips over the top of the pie filling. Weave the remaining 5 strips to form a lattice top. Using a pairing knife cut off the excess dough. Press the ends to the bottom crust and crimp with a fork.
- Using only the whites of an egg brush across the lattice top. Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp sugar.
- Place on a lined cookie sheet to catch the drippings. Bake at 450 degrees F for 15 minutes. Drop the temperature to 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave the pie there for about 90 minutes or until fully cooled and set.
- Top with whipped cream or ice cream and enjoy.
*Recipe from http://www.fivelittlechefs.com/recipe/desserts/easy-peach-pie.html